Seed Bread

seed bread

I don't really consider myself to be a "granola". You know, a "hippy", "tree-hugger", "flower-child", type of person but when I saw this recipe, I was pretty excited to try it out.

Chockfull of seeds, oats, bran, whole wheat flour... basically it is an "everything in your pantry but the canned sardines" type of recipe. Plus, there is no kneading for this bread, it's basically a batter-type recipe.

I'm not a big bread eater but if I do have a slice, I would prefer it being full of nutrients and fiber. I would say that this seed bread fits the bill. (Though I love my less-nutrient white breads on occasion too).

I remember a camping trip I took, many, many years ago, where I had brought a store-bought sprouted grain bread, full of seeds, along. My brother looked at the sandwich and responded with "what the heck is THAT? Where's the normal bread?". He jokingly threw some of the bread pieces and claimed that the squirrels were not even eating it and continued to make jokes the rest of the day about it. Quite frankly, I think the squirrels were probably full after one piece and that's why they didn't come back for more.

Hmmm... wait a minute. Seed bread, pantry full of oats, nuts and seeds and camping?

Ok, maybe I have an "inner-hippy". But you won't see me in Birkenstocks, a tye-died long skirt with a flower garland around my head.

Enjoy the bread. I did.

:)

...

Seed Bread
makes one large loaf or two smaller loaves

1 tbsp sugar
2.5 cups warm water, divided
1 tbsp dry yeast

1/3 cup molasses
1 tbsp vegetable oil

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup rye flour
1/2 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup poppy seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup flax seeds (I used pumpkin seeds since I was out of flax)
4 tsp salt *(I found it to be a tad salty - try trimming back a tsp maybe)

mixture of seeds for topping

Combine sugar and 1/2 cup of warm water. Add the yeast and allow to bubble for about 10 minutes.

In another bowl, mix together the remaining water, molasses and oil. Mix it to the above mixture. Set aside.

In a large bowl, add the flours, oats, bran, germ, all seeds and salt. Stir in the wet ingredients and mix together.

Place the mixture into one 10"x16" loaf pan or two 8"x4" loaf pans, that are prepared with oil and parchment paper. Add a mixture of seeds on top. Press gently.

Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for at least one hour.

Bake at 350F for about 45 minutes for the smaller loaves or about 60 minutes for the large size loaf.

Remove from heat, onto wire rack and allow to cool for 5-8 minutes. Remove from pans and allow to cool completely.

Recipe from: Amazing South African Seed Bread, Friday Night Dinners, Bonnie Stern.

Share:

3 comments