hangem' high chili

hangem' high chili

Seeing Sharon's post on the 2009 chili cook off reminded me the recipe I picked up after a chili cook off many, many years ago. I can't remember when but probably a good 7-8 years ago. Geez, where has the time gone?!?

I adapted the recipe below for our needs, using lean ground beef, less sweet peppers and fresh tomatoes when my child's preschool had a chili dinner fundraiser for some 80 folks. A friend and I also catered a 100+ people event later on with the same recipe. It was well received both times.

When I make this recipe at home, I adapt it down to make a large potful. We eat it over two days and the rest goes into the freezer to eat for another time. It's never the same chili every time I make it because I tend to throw in a little of this or a little more of that. I'm not one to follow recipes very well unless it's baking (and sometimes never really then!) I'm a rebel without a cause... I'm like the James Dean of cooking.

Watch out, I got a whisk in my hand and I'm not afraid to use it!

Yeah, right... only in my dreams :) hahaha.

Thus, I'll leave you the bulk recipe to adapt for yourself too.

Enjoy!
...

hangem' high chili
"serves 200 hungry cowboys or 150 hungry Albertans".

35 lbs inside round alberta beef
10 jumbo onions
3 celery stalks
30 fresh tomatoes, diced 1/2"
2 - 100 oz cans crushed tomatoes
3 - 100 oz. cans kidney beans
12 garlic cloves
10 oz. tequila
12 tbsp chili powder
8 oz. fresh oregano, chopped
8 oz. fresh basil, chopped
1 tbsp cumin
4 red peppers
4 green peppers
2 tbsp crushed peppers

Trim fat & dice beef into 1/4 " pieces. Dice celery,onions, red & green peppers. Heat skillet, add oil and saute onions, cleery and garlic. Halfway through add peppers and saute. Add tequila and remaining ingredients. Cook on low heat for approximately 45 mintues. Serve.

Recipe: Hangem' High Chili: courtesy of Coast Edmonton Plaza Hotel.

Share:

7 comments