ham and feta strata

ham and feta strata

Do you ever buy those fancy artisan breads or baguettes at bakeries or grocery stores, bring it home, enjoy a couple of delicious slices, put it back into that cheap, shitty paper bag it came in, excited to eat more tomorrow and then before you realize it, it's the next day and it's become rock hard and your pissed, waving your fists in the air, promising that you won't buy it again unless you can eat it before it dries out so not to waste your money...

gasp

Uh huh, you're nodding YES! Well, worry no more my friends. I have your solution.

A strata!

Yes, I buy those breads and they do become rock hard within a day (what the heck is with those stupid paper bags and why can't I remember to put it into a plastic bag instad, to prevent it from drying). So, now I just toss it in the freezer and when I have enough frozen, dried-out bread, I thaw it, slice it and make a strata. Voila... no more waste.

This ia yummy recipe. Great for brunches when you have people over but make sure you half the below recipe if it's only two of you... because then you will be eating strata ALL WEEK LONG. Then you'll have a dried out leftover strata :) And, sorry, I don't have a solution for that one.

...

ham and feta strata

1 large baguette or small loaf, dried out or toasted, sliced (I had two different types of bread I used in the above picture)
2 onions, chopped
300 g of ham of your choice, chopped up
400 g feta, diced up

4 eggs
4 cups milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Layer the bread into a large casserole dish. Sprinkle with onions, ham and feta.

In a bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, salt and pepper. Stir. Pour over bread mixture.

Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until liquid is gone.

Adapted from: Ham, Fontina and Spinach Strata, The Best of Bridge Presents A Year of the Best.

Share:

0 comments