smoky roasted-potato chowder

smoky roasted-potato chowder

Sometimes I wonder why I live where it's cold. It's not like I love really hot heat (cuz I don't, I'm sure I'll complain in the summer when it's boiling) but I'm an in between type of gal, a Golidlocks if you must call me something. I like it not too cold and not too hot.

But, I'm stuck here for now. On the flip side, one thing about cold weather that is good is the wonderful comfort type of foods you can make when it's cold. Stews and chili, ciders and hot cocoa. Mmmmm.

I have to say, I thought this potato chowder was really tasty. I was licking up the spoon because of the wonderful roasted vegetables. I have to admit though, I felt I would have preferred it with some chunks throughout the chowder versus a complete puree. It almost reminded me of something I fed my kids when they were babies, except this was a LOT more tasty.

Even though it had great flavor, I just couldn't eat it the next day. I think it was filling and hearty but I just couldn't do the texture again another day.

...

smoky roasted-potato chowder
makes 5 cups

10 baby red potatoes*
3 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 small red onion, cut into quarters
1 red pepper, coursely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp dried oregano leaves
1/4 tsp smoked paprika or 1/2 tsp regular paprika
pinches salt and pepper
10 oz (284 mL) can undiluted chicken broth

Preheat oven to 400F. Combine all of the ingredients (except for chicken broth) and spread into large rimmed baking sheet. Roast in oven until potatoes are very tender, about 30-40 minutes.

Put all roasted vegetables into large saucepan. Add chicken broth and add 2 soup cans of water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium heat. Simmer and stir occasionally for about 10 minutes.

Puree soup in small batches with a food processor. Return into a clean saucepan and add more salt and paprika to taste, if needed.

* I didn't have enough potatoes so I used a small sweet potato, equivalent to 5 baby red potatoes.

Recipe from: Smoky roasted- potato chowder, Chatelaine Magazine, March 2007 Issue.

Share:

1 comments