enchiladas



These are yummy. They look as good as they taste!

I find this dish to be very comforting to eat. The textures and the tastes all mingling make it hard for me to stop eating. I could probably eat 2-3 servings at one time and then of course burst! But I really try to limit myself and remind myself that I can have some leftovers for lunch. Then it's the countdown to lunch...

I love that they are gooey on the inside and that the tortillas are soft and chewy. I mix up whatever veggies I have on hand and use leftover chicken or beef or just beans if I want to make it vegetarian. I usually use whole wheat flour tortillas but other varieties work well too.

Enjoy!

...

enchiladas

your choice:
chicken, cooked and thinly sliced
beef, cooked and thinly sliced or use ground beef
beans of your choice (kidney, black bean, etc)

Fillings- Add enough to fill 10-12 tortillas:
1-2 onions, sliced or diced
1-2 red peppers, sliced or diced
1-2 green peppers, sliced or diced
1/2 cup to 1 cup corn
anything other filling you would like

Wrap it up in 10-12:
flour tortillas
corn tortillas
whatever type tortilla you like

Bulk Seasoning Mix:
I make a bulk amount, use a couple of teaspoons and then keep it for use afterwards.

1/2 cup cornstarch
6 oz (128 g) chili powder
1.5 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano

If you like some heat, add some hot spices.

Saute up the vegies in a hot pan with some oil. Add chicken or other meat/bean of your choice and warm up. Add 2-3 tsp of seasoning and mix. Add some broth or water if needed. Allow to cool.

Put couple tablespoons of the above mixture into a a tortilla and roll it up. (Some folks like cheese within the tortilla but I omit it because it tastes great without it too). Place in oblong dish. Use up all the mixture and tortilla's.

Place 2-3 tsp of seasoning mix in 1.5 cups broth or water. (If you want to make it heartier, replace 1/2 cup water with sour cream intsead) Pour over the enchiladas. Place shredded cheese on top.

Bake in oven for 20 minutes at 350F or until all liquid is gone. Let cool for 10 minutes.

Serve with salsa, sour cream and guacomole if you wish.

Share:

4 comments