Roasted Butternut Squash



I remember the first time I tried butternut squash. We were living in Vancouver and there was this little neighborhood food market that we would go to often for fresh fruit and vegies (and the occasional batch of flowers!). I remember seeing the odd shaped squash and thinking we should try something new.

I brought it home and realized I had no idea what to do with it! But, luckily for me, there was a little sticker on it that stated to cut it lengthwise, scoop out the insides, cover with plastic film and microwave. It was that simple. And it tasted so sweet, like a sweet potato.

Ever since then, I've been buying it and microwaving it up. This time around, I tried baking it. Quite frankly, I'll just stick with nuking it because it's a lot quicker. Choose either way, but personally, I haven't really found any difference in taste or texture. But maybe my palate isn't as refined :)

This time I gave it a rub of honey and a hint of cinnamon. Tasty.

Next time you see it at the supermarket, go ahead and buy it. You won't regret it.

...

roasted butternut squash

Cut the squash in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds.

Slather with honey and a hint of cinnamon (try butter or nothing at all).

Place in a baking pan, face up, with about an inch of water in the pan.

Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes or until soft.

Share:

2 comments