three bean salad




When I think of kidney beans, I think of chili. I rarely think of them for other uses though I'm sure there are a variety of uses for them that I need to explore. It wasn't until my mother made a 3 bean salad back when I was living at home that I got my second recipe involving that red kidney bean.

The sheer idea of beans mixed together as a cold salad seemed horrifying but when I tried it I was pleasantly surprised and I've been making it ever since. The combo of sweet and sour and the crunch from the onions and red pepper makes it such a great dish. It is also a great make ahead dish for picnic's or having guests over since it's so easy to prepare.

However the downside is the hubby's gas production from eating such a dish, which is just outright displeasing. Make sure you send him out to do errands a couple of hours after eating such a dish.


...

three bean salad
3 varieties of beans in any ratio you would like:

14 oz can green beans
14 oz can yellow beans
19 oz can kidney beans

1 medium onion, diced in little pieces
1 large red pepper, diced into little pieces

1 cup vinegar
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

note that many recipes also use 1/4 - 1/2 cup oil in their bean salads but I find it just as good without so I don't add it.

Make sure the beans are well rinsed and mix them together into a bowl.

Mix the sugar, salt & pepper into the vinegar. Pour the dressing over the beans, mix well and refrigerate. Allow to sit several hours or overnight in the refrigerator to enhance the flavor.

Share:

2 comments